Purple Orange is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified; you can then be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Purple Orange may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
1. What kinds of information do we collect?
The type of information that we collect from you will depend on how you engage with us. In order to provide you with our services, we will collect your name, contact information including address, email address and telephone number, demographic information such as age, guardian details, and any other personal information that you submit to us, via our website or otherwise.
With your consent, we may collect sensitive information, including health information, personal experience and your opinions on disability and health policy and this information will be relevant to the research/ project being conducted and explained to you further at the time of collection. We may collect direct quotes, photographs and videos of you.
We will only collect sensitive information if you consent and it is relevant to providing our services.
2. How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you or where a person using our services provides us with your information (for example, if you support a person living with a disability who uses our services and they provide your information as their contact person or advocate). The main ways we collect personal information about you are when you:
- request to receive the services offered and provided by us, including the services listed above;
- register to be on our mailing list;
- complete an online form on one of our sites;
- participate in any consultations and focus groups;
- participate in our web-based forums or on social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and YouTube;
- apply for a position with us; and
- Otherwise submit personal information about yourself, or someone else, to us, or any of our sites.
We will only collect your personal information from third parties if you give the third party your consent to provide the information to us or it would be reasonably expected.
We will only collect sensitive information with your consent.
If someone other than you provides us with personal information about you that we did not ask for, or you provide us with unsolicited personal information, we will only hold, use or disclose this information if we determine that we could have collected this information from you had we asked for it. In this circumstance we will take all reasonable steps to notify you of the collection of that information. If we could not have collected this personal information, we will lawfully de-identify or destroy that personal information.
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes; and
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us (details at the end of the document).
3. If you are under 18 years of age
If you are under 18 years of age you must ask your parent or legal guardian to approve your provision of personal information before you submit your personal details to us.
4. Use of personal information
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which it was given to us, or for purposes which are directly related to the provision of our services.
Your personal information may be used by us in a number of ways, including:
- to assist you conveniently and easily accessing the services that we offer and provide, including the services listed above;
- internal record keeping;
- using the information to improve our services;
- periodically sending emails about upcoming events relevant to our work, Julia Farr group special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided. We do not pass your information on to any third party without your consent;
- use your information to contact you for market research purposes to customise the website according to your interests;
- to contact you for research purposes and to organise events or services;
- to form and maintain research partnerships and housing partner relationships;
- to make policy submissions;
- to assist you conveniently and easily accessing the services that we offer and provide;
- inform training resources, advocacy and policy development;
- present at conferences and meetings; and
- create case studies and video content.
5. Disclosure of personal information
In certain circumstances, it may be necessary for us to disclose your personal information to third parties in order to assist us in providing our services, or where disclosure is required by us to meet our legal and regulatory obligations. Third parties may include:
- digital marketing and other service providers such as Trello, Mailchimp and SurveyMonkey.
- government, government agencies and departments, NDIS, peak bodies, research bodies,
- universities and service planners;
- if you consent and participate in research, your next of kin or appropriate support person will be contacted if you experience distress during an interview;
- government and law enforcement agencies and regulators; and
- entities established to help identify illegal activities and prevent fraud where authorised by law.
We may also disclose your personal information to anyone authorised by you, or to whom you have provided your consent (either expressly or impliedly) or where another permitted general situation applies (as defined in Section 16A of the Privacy Act).
7. Direct marketing
We use personal information about you for the primary purpose of providing you with our services. We may also use it for other purposes for which you might reasonably expect us to use that information. You authorise us to use any email address or other contact information you provide to use at any time for such above purposes.
You can opt out of receiving electronic communications at any time. You agree and acknowledge that even if you opt out of receiving information about future events or other services offered by us, we will still send you essential information that we are required to send you relating to the services we provide.
8. Links to other websites
Our website contains links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
9. Storage and security
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
If you reasonably believe that there has been unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information, please contact us using the details below.
If we no longer need your personal information, unless we are required under Australian law or a court or tribunal order to retain it, we will take reasonable steps to destroy, securely delete, or de- identify your personal information as appropriate.
10. Accuracy of your information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information held by us is accurate, complete and up to date. If you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate, please contact us using the below details and we will take reasonable steps to correct it.
11. Disclosure to overseas recipients
We may disclose personal information to third parties like technical support officer and communication distributors; to the extent we use your personal information for these purposes. To the extent that the laws and rights of these countries are not equivalent to the laws of Australia, you agree to be bound by the laws and rights of the relevant extraterritorial jurisdiction. Such countries have data protection laws that are not equivalent to the laws of Australia and you may not have equivalent rights of enforcement.
12. Access to your information and making a complaint
You may request access to the personal information we hold about you. If you do so we will respond to your request within a reasonable period of time and, where reasonable and practicable, give access to the information in the manner you request. This will be subject to any exemptions provided under the Privacy Act. You may request this information by writing to the contact details set out below.
If you wish to make a complaint about a breach of the Privacy Act by us, you may do so by providing your complaint in writing to the contact details listed below using a complaints form. You may obtain a complaints form by contacting us using the below details. You may also make a complaint verbally. We will seek to respond to any complaint within a reasonable period of time. We may seek further information from you in order to provide a comprehensive and complete response.
You may also make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). You may contact the Australian Information Commissioner via telephone on 1300 363 992, by submitting a complaint or inquiry online at www.oaic.gov.au or by writing to the OAIC at GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001.
13. Contact us
If you have any questions, or if you wish to contact us for any of the reasons described above, including correcting or accessing the information we hold about you or to make a complaint, please contact our Privacy Officer:
PO Box 701
Unley Business Centre
Ph: (08) 8373 8333
1300 857 327 (Toll Free)
Fax: (08) 8373 8373